Happy New Year Friends! First Blog Post of 2022! Cue the Band!
It's Self - Care Sunday!!! I am a huge advocate for self - care. I love journaling, going to the spa, riding my peloton, and enjoying a green smoothie as a part of my self - care routine. What do you do for self - care? Leave your response in the comments section.
I have put together 4 practical tips to aid in your self care. Here goes:
1. Prioritize Sleep
So, why is sleep so important? You may not realize it, but the amount and quality of sleep you get each night can impact the way your immune system functions, your mood and much more! Good quality sleep helps your body and mind recharge.
Getting consistent and high-quality sleep can improve all aspects of your health. If you are having persistent trouble sleeping, it’s important to contact your doctor. Here are a few practical tips to get a good night's sleep.
- Unwind before bedtime. Consider stretching, visualization, meditation (see tip #4) or breathing exercises. If your mind is racing, jotting your thoughts or “to do list” down before going to bed can help.
- Develop a sleep routine: go to bed and get up at approximately the same time each day and yes, weekends too.
- Avoid substances with caffeine and alcohol within a few hours of bedtime.
- Limit late night electronics: Perusing the 'net, watching TV, and playing video games can be over-stimulating, making it difficult to fall asleep. In addition, the glow from electronic devices can inhibit natural sleep cycles.
2. Keep Moving
Move your body! Staying physically active even for just a few minutes a day does wonders for our body. Your body is made to move. Movement changes your brain and boosts your immune system. It’s the simplest mood-shifter there is. It’s so simple, it’s often overlooked. If you turn this one activity into a self-care habit, you’ll notice greater progress in your work, improvement in your body, increased mental clarity and an enhanced sense of well-being.
3. Eat Healthy
Eating healthy is self-care because your relationship with food has the ability to create a better sense of balance in your life. Load your plate with fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. The food you eat directly impacts your overall health and well-being. Proper nutrition can play an important role in the management of daily stress and the long-term effects that stress may cause.
If you are someone who enjoys a little pampering for self-care, consider treating your body to these nutritious foods for glowing skin and luscious locks:
- Fill up on fruits and vegetables. It has been suggested that diets high in vitamins such as Vitamin C, E, D and A can promote healthier skin.
- Get in your omega-3s. Upping your omega-3 fatty acid intake with foods such as salmon, mackerel, or sardines has been suggested to aid in essential functions in healthy skin and may also add some extra shine to your hair.
- For stronger, fuller hair, incorporate walnuts, apples, cherries, and oranges into your diet. These foods provide elastin to keep your hair supple and silica to prevent thinning.
- Already into healthy eating? Go a step further and put together an at-home hair or face mask using items you already have in your kitchen, such as egg white, avocado, oatmeal, or yogurt.
4. Give Yourself a Meditation Break
Meditation has so many benefits both physically and emotionally. Meditation can help reduce stress, ease symptoms of depression and anxiety, and regulate negative thinking. It also allows you to connect to your inner self, promotes self discovery, increases emotional intelligence, increases self-awareness, increases gratitude, and improves sleep.
Do you have trouble sitting still and focusing? I am a busy body and have that problem as well. I have gotten a lot better. Try meditation for 2 solid minutes, then 5 minutes, and so on. Do not get discouraged as a little bit goes a long way. Meditation is totally FREE. If you need a guided meditation, there are free meditations on You Tube. There are also paid apps such as Calm and Headspace.
That's all for today. I pray that these 4 tips are a blessing to you on this beautiful Sunday.
See below for a few of our favorite Self Care items. Click here to see our full self - care collection.
Buy 1 Item in our Self Care collection, get the 2nd self care item 50% off.
Enter Code: selfcare2022 at checkout.
Code valid until 1/15.
Take Care of Yourself. Remember, you can't pour from an empty cup!